I’ll continue to update this report on the Toy Story 3 cast as the highly-anticipated June 18th, 2010 release date approaches.
– Toy Story 3 represents at NYC’s 2010 International Toy Fair. Disney’s official press release has the full details, and here are some publicity photos from the event featuring: “John Lasseter, chief creative officer of Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios, Lee Unkrich, director, Toy Story 3, Darla K. Anderson, producer, Toy Story 3 and John Ratzenberger, voice of Hamm.”
Elsewhere, The Hollywood Reporter briefly interviewed Ratzenberger at the event, who “lauded Pixar for producing films using not focus groups, but instinct in what he says is a throw-back to the golden age of Hollywood. ‘It all comes exactly from the heart,’ he said.”
Originally published 2.13.2010:
– The new Toy Story 3 trailer is now available (via toonzone.net).
– I’ve been asked a few times recently who will be replacing the late Jim Varney as the voice of Slinky Dog in Toy Story 3, and I keep forgetting to mention it here. TS3 director Lee Unkrich actually announced via video on October 12, 2009 that the voice would be provided by Blake Clark who not only sounds incredibly like Varney but Unkrich says Clark was a longtime, close friend of Varney’s as well.
– The new trailer (linked above) features the first time we hear the voices of Michael Keaton as Ken, Ned Beatty as “Lotso” (aka “Lots-o’-Huggin’ Bear”) and Whoopi Goldberg as the “Purple Octopus.” I’m still trying to I.D. the voice of the Triceratops toy and the Fisher Price toy phone — any guesses would be welcome via the comment box below.
Disney also released a 1-minute featurette in January which features the voice of Timothy Dalton as Mr. Pricklepants (via Disney’s official YouTube channel, which Disney has disabled embedding for so click the links to view the trailers):
In October 2009, Disney released a trailer which features the voice of Blake Clark as Slinky Dog:
– On Feb. 11th, Unkrich stated via Twitter (@leeunkrich): “I perform a single line of dialogue in Toy Story 3, and that line happens to be in the trailer.” In a follow-up post he revealed it’s the voice of the Jack in the box toy.
– According to IMDb.com and Wikipedia.org, following is the Toy Story 3 voice cast list (noted as confirmed or rumored in parentheses).
- Tom Hanks – Woody (confirmed)
- Tim Allen – Buzz Lightyear (confirmed)
- Joan Cusack – Jessie the Yodeling Cowgirl (confirmed)
- John Ratzenberger – Hamm the Piggy Bank (confirmed)
- Wallace Shawn – Rex (confirmed)
- Don Rickles – Mr. Potato Head (confirmed)
- Estelle Harris – Mrs. Potato Head (confirmed)
- Blake Clark – Slinky Dog (confirmed)
- Annie Potts – Bo Peep (character confirmed; it’s assumed that Potts will reprise her role but it’s still unconfirmed)
- Jeff Pidgeon – Aliens, aka “Little Green Men” (characters confirmed; it’s assumed that Pidgeon will reprise his roles from the previous 2 films)
- Jodi Benson – Barbie (confirmed)
- Michael Keaton – Ken (confirmed)
- Lee Unkrich – Jack in the Box (confirmed)
- Whoopi Goldberg – “Purple Octopus” (character still unnamed, voice confirmed)
- Bonnie Hunt – “Purple-haired doll” (character still unnamed, voice confirmed)
- John Morris – Andy Davis (confirmed)
- Laurie Metcalf – Mrs. Davis (Andy’s mom, confirmed)
- R. Lee Ermey – Sergeant (the Army Men are confirmed to appear; it’s assumed that Ermey will reprise his role as Sergeant)
- Timothy Dalton – Mr. Pricklepants (confirmed)
- Kristen Schaal – Trixie (character name rumored, voice confirmed)
- Ned Beatty – “Lotso,” aka “Lots-o’-Huggin’ Bear” (confirmed)
- Jeff Garlin – Twitch (rumored)
On Nov. 8, 2009, Unkrich confirmed via Twitter that RC, Lenny, and Wheezy would return for TS3. While RC doesn’t “speak” (except for whirring sounds), Lenny (the toy Binoculars) and Wheezy (squeaky penguin toy) were both originally voiced by the late Joe Ranft. It has not been announced if Lenny or Wheezy will have speaking lines in TS3.
– Slashfilm.com has a pictorial analysis of “easter eggs” hidden in the new trailer (linked above).
– TS3 director Unkrich has also been “tweeting” photos of the cast in the recording studio:
Beatrice Miller (Andy’s sister)
Wallace Shawn (Rex) and additional photo here
Michael Keaton (Ken)
Tim Allen (Buzz)
Don Rickles (Mr. Potato Head)
Timothy Dalton (Mr. Pricklepants)
John Ratzenberger (Hamm)
Tom Hanks (Woody)
Estelle Harris (Mrs. Potato Head)
Bonnie Hunt (not yet announced)
Unkrich has also been auctioning Pixar memorabilia on ebay as a fundraiser for Haiti relief, including items signed by Pixar’s voice actors.
– John Morris, voice of Andy Davis in the Toy Story series, is now on Twitter.
– Check out the Toy Story 3 trailer in 40 different languages.