The Paley Center in Los Angeles, CA will be celebrating Yabba-Dabba-Doo! A 70th Anniversary Salute to Hanna-Barbera beginning with the opening of a gallery exhibit that runs from August 12 – September 20.
The exhibit will feature a display of “photographs and artwork — a compilation of seventy years of hard work from the Hanna-Barbera Studios as the artists originally intended.” Among the items on display are photos from voice recording sessions featuring the casts of such shows as The Flintstones, Top Cat, The Partridge Family, 2200 A.D., and Johnny Bravo.
Other exhibit highlights:
• Iwao Takamoto’s first sketches of the Scooby gang which include an extra character that was later deleted.
• Toby Bluth’s watercolor background paintings for the The Smurfs.
• Original designs for The Jetsons.
• ‘Hall of Justice’ sketches from Superfriends.
• Behind-the-scenes photos from Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park, C.H.O.M.P.S., The Banana Splits, and the Legends of the Superheroes Roast.
In conjunction with this exhibit, on August 22nd The Paley Center will host the live event The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera with in-person guests:
* Jerry Eisenberg, The Flintstones
* Willie Ito, Yogi Bear
* Tony Benedict, The Jetsons
* Butch Hartman, Fairly Odd Parents
Additional panelists will be announced soon.
A book signing for Iwao Takamoto: My Life with a Thousand Characters will follow the panel presentation, with authors Barbara Takamoto, Michael Mallory, and Willie Ito.
PaleyCenter.org has more details on these events, plus a four-page feature article on Hanna-Barbera.